Sunday, April 27, 2008

.:flashback jam:.

many of you might have already caught on, but i am obsessed with the 80's. if i had a magic wand - a glittery one of course - i would zap myself back into 1984. although i was just around 8 years old, i remember the contradictary messages and social cues i recieved. my mother had a good friend by the name of candy - who's son was my "good" friend. anywho, i remember while watching the video to pat benatar's top 10 hit we belong, my mother consoling candy because she had just been diagnosed with aids (the term hiv positive wouldn't be used until years later). as a young child i was confused because media told me that aids was a "gay" desease but my mother was supporting her best friend with aids who was both hetero and female. this is when i like to believe that i learned to not trust the media completely. so this song holds a special place in my heart. while i usually give the history of the song and artist, i felt the need to share my personal connection. thank you for taking the time to read. enjoy the tune.

.:we belong:.
http://www.zshare.net/audio/111844902538955b/

2 comments:

  1. 1976 baby, perhaps? I love the 80s. I don't care about hating on them. Pop culture was adorable as hell.

    ReplyDelete